Sunday, July 8, 2012

What Do The Candy Stripe/Barber Pole Borders On Facebook's Timeline Mean?

New Facebook Timeline Striped Borders


I went onto my Facebook Timeline today and noticed a new (and very distracting) UI element. Apparently some of my Timeline posts have a new border that looks like a cross between an old Mac OS loading bar, caution tape, a candy cane and the stripes of a barber pole.

The funny thing was that it wasn't readily apparent what these new borders are supposed to indicate. Mousing over them gave no information. After puzzling over it for a while it seems that these borders may indicate a story that was added to my Timeline by an application (as opposed to me something to my Timeline "by hand").

UPDATE: As mentioned in the comments below these are likely messages/posts that are visible to you only. I checked a few of the privacy settings for some of these posts and they seem to all have been marked "Only Me". Mystery solved? Maybe.

Do you know what these mean? Is this the best way for Facebook to indicate posts added by other applications if indeed that is what they are?

Mostly it caused me a momentary bit of panic wondering if something was wrong with my Timeline. Usually those type of slanted stripes are reserved for things like caution tape. Usually they mean "warning".

You ideas?

3 comments:

  1. If there is a lock up by your name on each of the candy striped posts, click it, and set it to Friends, Everyone, or what ever you prefer. Then go into your privacy settings and check to make sure it isn't set there. Don't know why, but mine just started this a couple of days ago :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those stripes mean the post is visible only to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with V Taylor above. It's not clear but it happens with photos that I have posted to an 'Only Me' album.

    ReplyDelete