Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My New Year's Resolutions for 2018

Embed from Getty Images


It's January 2nd, 2018 and I've been in the New Years spirit the last few days. New Year's Eve is by far my favorite holiday. I just love taking stock of our lives over the last year and looking forward to what lies ahead in the next. I love the idea of new beginnings.

I thought I would take a bit of time to share my New Year's resolutions and what I've done to change things in the last few days.

My Resolutions

Below are my 2018 resolutions:

  • More focused time with the kids
  • No R, MA, or M rated media
  • Get weight to 180 lbs and do more exercise
  • Save $600
  • No swearing
  • No fighting or raising my voice with family

More Focused Time

As my kids get older I find that they are in need of more and more focused time. I want to spend that time with them. I think that I can do this by removing some of the more useless activities and stopping what I am doing to spend time with them when they need it.

I would have never thought that I would find it hard to spend time with my kids but I do. My kids are growing up fast enough as it is. If I don't take this time to spend with them, I'll regret it later.

Media Consumption

I have had this goal in the past but I am going to really try to stick to it. I think that I shouldn't have a need or desire to lean towards "harder" media and should be able to find plenty to watch in the ratings PG-13 (movies), TV-14 (television), and T (video games) and below.

After a year of sticking to the above I'm sure I'll find that I have consumed a more healthy media diet.

Weight

I've been working on losing weight in earnest for about the last year and a half and I'm proud to say that I am within about 10 lbs of my goal weight of 180 lbs. 

I've been losing weight by having a low-calorie diet and striving to exercise (trying to hit 10K steps daily).

Once I hit around 185 or so thought the weight loss plateaued and I've been hovering between 186-192 lbs or so for about 6 months. This year I hope to punch through to 180 lbs and perhaps even go lower to 175 lbs.

Save Money

This year I want to have $600 or more saved in the bank by 2019. This works out to $50 a month or around $25 a pay check.

I hope saving money is a habit that will actually stick this year.

Swearing

When your child says their first swear word you know it's time to stop cussing. #embarrassed

Inside Voices

There are times when our voices get a bit too raised in the family and this is something I want to have happen less.

Having a more peaceful and harmonious household is something that I think is definitely worth working towards.

Early Results

Even though the year is only 2 days old I've already done two other things that seem to be paying off.
For one I've removed all the news apps on my smartphone home screen. I really want to open up some of my time that's been absorbed with reading news and leave room for other projects.

I've started doing a daily vlog on my YouTube channel. I'm still in the early days (see what I did there) but I'm improving all the time. I think it would be cool to have 365 days of daily videos. (We'll see if I can keep it up.)

I'm also hoping to write more here on this blog. In the past I've used this blog more as a dumping ground for articles and thoughts that didn't fit anywhere else but I hope going forward to use it more as a personal blog.

Conclusion

I think that the above resolutions will be really good for guiding me to have a better year and I've been encouraged by the results so far (even though it's only been two days).

Here's to a wonderful 2018!

No comments:

Post a Comment