Friday, February 22, 2013

Bringing Back the Rainbow Apple Logo 12 Inch Powerbook Style!

This photo album and instructions for changing your logo on the 12" PowerBook from white to original Apple logo rainbow colors was originally posted on my now defunct mac.com site in 2004(?). Thanks to Archive.org I am now able to resurrect it. You can find the page as it originally looked (more or less) hereI've also tried to leave the original typography/layout intact as much as possible. Unfortunately is seems the higher resolution images didn't seem to survive. Head past the jump for a blast to the past.



Bringing Back the Rainbow Apple Logo 12 Inch Powerbook Style!
If you want to get the swatch book I use copy and paste this link into your browser: http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/swatchBookRequest.asp?type=roscolux (Try http://www.rosco.com/sbreqs/index.cfm instead.)
This is the finished piece. It is lit but in somewhat subdued light.
My inspiration. I used this pin for all my color choices.
I got this "Roscolux" gel sample book a long time ago in a photography class.
My final color choices. I got each color by holding the gel up to the lit logo.
Green: #2004 "Storaro Green"
Yellow: #14 "Medium Straw"
Orange: #23" Orange"
Red: #25 "Orange Red"
Purple: #2009 "Storaro Violet"
Blue: #376 "Bermuda Blue:
Choosing colors involved seeing how they looked with light passing through them.
I made a paper template and worked with that when taping and cutting the gels.
Clear gels were used to prevent tearing when putting it in the lid.
What you see when you get the lid open.
Cutting the tape to allow me to put stufff under the logo.
This is the final logo all taped up, trimmed, and inserted.
Holding the bottom like this and pulling the top towards me seemed to work good.
This picture shows the anntena wire in front of the clip=bad.
Here the wire is behind the clip where it should be.
I actually bent one of the clips. Be gentle & don't force anything!
Here I am using a small pocket knife to gingerly bend the clip back into shape.
The fixed clip. After bending this clip I figured out the technique above.
Watch at these points. The screen should be flush at both. My mistake was here.
SIde by side comparison of the pin and the finished logo. Not too shabby!
Here if the completed project in a dark room to show it off. Email me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment