Friday, February 22, 2013

Shufflephones 1.0 - Old Skool Edition

This photo album and instructions for making an iPod Shuffle fit inside a pair of retro headphones was originally posted on my now defunct mac.com site in 2005. Thanks to Archive.org I am now able to resurrect it. You can find the page as it originally looked (more or less) here

I've also tried to leave the original typography/layout intact as much as possible. Unfortunately is seems the higher resolution images didn't seem to survive and I had to cludge the HTML tables a bit to fit. You can find the flickr set for these images here. (Appears my Flickr Pro ran out.) I uploaded higher resolution version to an imgur album here. (Phillip Torrone from Make Magazine even commented on this photo.) Head past the jump for a blast from the past.

NOTE: The images below look like the have links to something but in fact they simply link back to this post. Apologies. Resurrecting the dead isn't perfect. I uploaded higher resolution versions of the images to the imgur album Jim Younkin's Shufflephones Ver. 1.0.


Shufflephones 1.0 - Old Skool Edition
This is a fun iPod shuffle hack I threw together. It completely eliminates cord clutter! View more shuffle fun at http://shufflehacks.blogspot.com




Here I am listening to my shuffle without a cord in sight!





The finished hack. You can see the shuffle tucked inside the headphone cup.





iPod shuffle: $99 (Besy Buy). MURA SP-503 headphones: $1 (Goodwill).





Each ear has it's own volume adjustment. Sweet!




Let's see what we're dealing with here.





Check out these speakers! Xzibit aint got nothin' on these! Dubs for your ea...





The thing opened up real nice. I gotta love late 70's-early 80's engineerin...





In it goes! I was suprised the thing fit.





I tried on the headphones and the cups are so big I barely felt the shuffle.





Testing possible orientations. Here you can see how massive the phones are.





Found a suitable headphone plug donor. Headphones are from a $10 cd player.





Snipped the old curly headphone cord. Saving it for another hack.





Getting the wires ready to splice. Girls only like guys with soldering skills.





Am I the only person who always strips wires with my teeth?





Put the shrink tubing on the wires BEFORE soldering.





Soldered and shrink tubes shrunk. It pays to read the shrink tube directions.





Bigger shrink tubing shrunk over smaller. Looks like a python that just ate.





Ready to reassemble. Tucked wires up inside the earphone cup.





Headphone wire comes through the notch used to open the headphones. Perfect.





This hack was really born out of my hatred for headphone cords.





Finished. It all fits very nicely. The front controls are easily accessible.





You can reach the shuffle sliding switch by pulling it up like so.





Close up of finished product.





My brother testing them out.





Here I am testing out various shuffle extraction options.





With the headphone plug plugged in this was the easiest way to take it out.





Removing the shuffle for updating, charging, whatever.





Quite a neat and functional little hack with a good dose of nostalgia thrown in!

No comments:

Post a Comment