Friday, February 22, 2013

Shufflephones 2.0 - New Hotness Edition

This photo album and instructions for my second project for making an iPod Shuffle fit inside a pair of headphones was originally posted on my now defunct mac.com site back in 2005. Thanks to Archive.org I am now able to resurrect it. You can find the page as it originally looked (more or less) here

I've also tried to leave the original typography/layout intact as much as possible. Unfortunately is seems the higher resolution images didn't seem to survive and I had to cludge the HTML tables a bit to fit. You can find the flickr set for these images here. (Appears my Flickr Pro ran out.) I uploaded higher resolution images to an imgut album here. Head past the jump for a blast from the past.

NOTE: The images below look like the have links to something but in fact they simply link back to this post. Apologies. Resurrecting the dead isn't perfect. I uploaded higher resolution images to the imgur album Jim Younkin's Shufflephones Ver. 2.0.

This post was linked on slashdot and got 90,000 views in one day. That was the day I decided to start my shufflehacks blog. I was even featured in Wired Magazine (online and the physical magazine) for my work on shufflehacks. The blog and the shufflehacks flickr group which I started were mentioned by Mathew Honan in Macworld. This hack was also mentioned on Hack A Day which was one of my favorite blogs at the time.


Shufflephones 2.0 - New Hotness Edition
Here you'll find version 2.0 of my iPod shuffle in heapdhones hack. View more shuffle fun at http://shufflehacks.blogspot.com





The finished hack. Read on to see how it's done.





Here we have the phones to be hacked. In this case a pair of Sony MDR-CD280's.





Gathering up materials to use in the hack. Used all but the bottom right phones.





A $10 mini radio I had laying around will provide our "expansion jack".





Unsoldering the headphone jack. I heat then tap on paper to remove the solder.





We'll use this bad boy to add some cool new features to version 2.0.





Preparing for the operation. Let's crack this bad mama-jama.





Foam ear cup removed. Three screws hold it together.





Outside shell slides off. Aren't these sweet looking phones!





Getting to the meat. These head phones are about 6 years old.





Here we see for the first time what we're dealing with. Looks pretty hackable!





I want to use the location of where the cord exited for the expansion jack.





I needed to enlarge the opening to fit the expansion jack.





One of my favorite tools. A ground down screw driver. Bored the hole out first.





I cut down the insides to accommodate the jack. It was careful work.





Testing the fit. Lot's more time to go. It took an hour to finish this part.





I ended up trimming down the jack casing to get a nice close fit.





Here the fit of the jack is perfect. Now it's time to make it stay there.





J-B Weld is the greatest stuff on earth. Cap'n Crunch box for mixing.





Here I've applied J-B Weld liberally under the jack. I let it set overnight.





The finshed jack. By far the most time consuming part of the hack but worth it!





The fit of the jack turned out really nice.





Here I soldered the jack up to the connections on the headphones.





Here I bored a small hole for and soldered the inside headphone plug.





Close up of the wiring. I think it is a bit sloppy but it works perfectly.





I used a twisty tie to remove some slack from the plug wire.





All wired up and ready to reassemble.





Assembling the headphones.





All screwed back together. Only need to put the foam cup back on.





Another shot of the expansion jack. Trust me this thing is cool!





Here it is awating the shuffle.





Perparing to insert the shuffle.





I found removing the USB cap gave me the little bit of extra room to make it fit





I notice the material covering the foam split. They're 6 years old.





Listen to the shuffle with no wires! Or use the expansion jack. Read on.





The expansion jack can be used to share your music with a friend on the go.





A patch cable allows use as regular phones or plug the shuffle into a stereo.





A thing of beauty. A delight to wear. Better sound than version 1.0.





It takes a tremendous amount of effort to create something that looks effortless





You can't feel the shuffle while wearing the headphones. Weird huh!





Version 2.0. I think it turned out quite good. An improvement on version 1.0.





Product testing shot. I am wearing them while writing this and they feel good.





Thanks for looking! Be sure to email me with any questions, comments, confusion!

No comments:

Post a Comment